About The Artist
Born on the 7 July 1965 in Gibraltar. Moved to South Africa in 1969.
- PhD in History of Art: North-West University, 2014
- MAFA (cum laude): Vaal Triangle Technikon, 2000
- National Higher Diploma in Fine Art (Drawing Major): Vaal Triangle Technikon, 1991
- National Diploma in Fine Art (Printmaking/ Drawing): Vaal Triangle Technikon, 1989
- 2015: Academic Head, Stellenbosch Academy of Design and Photography.
- 2006 - 2014: Senior Lecturer, Graphic Design: School of Communications: North-West University.
- 2004 - 2005: Digital Navigator: Vega School of Brand Communication.
- 2003: Senior Lecturer, Multimedia: Department of Visual Arts and Design, Vaal Triangle Technikon.
- 1997 - 2003: Senior Lecturer, Drawing and Digital media: Department of Fine Art, Vaal Triangle Technikon.
- 1993 - 1996: Lecturer in Printmaking, Drawing, and History of Art, Technikon Free State.
- 1992: Part-time Lecturer in Printmaking, Drawing, Vaal Triangle Technikon.
- 1990 - 1991: Technician, Fine Art Department, Vaal Triangle Technikon.
- 2013: Institutional award for creative outputs, North-West University
- 2012: Institutional award for creative outputs, North-West University
- 2011: Craft Icon Award, North-West Crafts Institute
- 2009: NAC funding awarded for the ‘Transgressions and boundaries of the page project
- 2008, 2010:Institutional award for creative outputs North-West University.
- 2003: Fine Art: Aardvark finalist, Aardklop
- 2001: Vice-Chancellor and Rector’s award: Best Master’s student (Faculty of Humanities) and Academic Honours award (Faculty of Humanities)
- 2001: Research stimulation grant, Vaal Triangle Technikon
- 1998: Vaal Triangle Research Committee: Grant to curate an exhibition entitled Digital directions at the first South African printmaking conference, Grahamstown, South Africa.
- 2017 to date: Member of advisory committee, the Animation School, Cape Town 2017 to date: Member of advisory committee, Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- 2015 to date: Member of advisory committee, Vega the Brand Communication School
- 2014: Curriculum review, Stellenbosch Academy of Design and Photography
- 2013: Member of the programme evaluation committee, Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- 2007-2011: Member of advisory committee, Vega the Brand Communication School
- 2010: Curriculum review, Stellenbosch Academy of Design and Photography
- 2008: External moderator, Pretoria University
- 2008 – 2009: External moderator, Vaal University of Technology.
Research expertise and management
- 2012-2014: Co-project leader: Reflective conversations (collaborative practice-led research project)
- 2009-2012: Co-project leader: Transgressions and boundaries of the page (collaborative practice-led research project)
- 2007-2009: Co-project leader: Tracking creative creatures (collaborative practice-led research project)
- 2009: Guest editor of the Literator accredited journal: Volume 30 no 1 April 2009.
- Marley, I.R. & Swanepoel, R. 2014. Die deelnemingsparadigma as ’n addisionele paradigma in multi-praktisyns en praktykgeleide navorsingsprojekte. South African Journal of Art History 29(4).
- Marley, I.R. 2012. An investigation of the appropriateness of the Theory of Organisational Knowledge Creation as management model for practice-led research: Literator, 33(1).
- Marley, I.R. & Greyling, F. 2010. The Tracking Creative Creatures project: Negotiating space for interdisciplinary practice-led research at North-West University. In Farber, L. (ed.), On making; integrating approaches to practice-led research in art and design. Johannesburg: University of Johannesburg. pp.169-182.
- Greyling, F. & Marley, I.R. 2009. Op die spoor van kreatiewe kreature: ‘n interdissiplinêre ondersoek na die kreatiewe proses: projekbeskrywing. Literator, 30(1):1-29.
- Combrink, L. & Marley, I.R. 2009. Practice-based research: tracking creative creatures in a research context. Literator, 30(1):177-206.
- 2003: Department of Education: Registered Artifact.
- 2017: Ian Marley: Facilitating practice-led research, four fundamental aspects that promote successful engagement: Booknesses Book Arts Colloquium: University of Johannesburg.
- 2015: Jo-Anne Chan and Ian Marley co-wrote a paper entitled: Written in Bone – Blood from Stone: an example of PLR as curriculum design. Presented by Chan at the 2015 Design Practices and Principles conference in Rio.
- 2014: Practice-led research: Faculty Research theme workshop, Pretoria University.
- 2014: Dyslexia – a personal perspective. Dyslexia conference, Bellvista School, South Africa.
- 2012: Transgression and boundaries of the page: South African artists books, Design Practices and Principles Conference, University of Los Angeles.
- 2011: Tracking creative creatures: tacit knowledge management in the practice-based research context. Design Practices and Principles Conference, Rome.
- 2009: Tracking Creative Creatures: an interdisciplinary investigation into the creative process, University of Johannesburg.
- 2008: Confessions of a ‘want to be children’s book illustrator’, Children’s Literature Conference, Potchefstroom, South Africa.
- 2007: Dyslexia – the hidden truth, Visual Literacy Conference, Oxford University, United Kingdom.
- 2004: Sins of the father: cyber self, The Art Historians Conference, Durban.
- 2003: Stationary Traveller: Virtual reality as Fine Art practice’, Computers in Art and Design Education (CADE), University of Hull, United Kingdom.
- 2001: Virtually pondering Parys, The Art Historians Conference, Durban.
- 1999: Digital doodle do, The Art Historians Conference, Pietermaritzburg.
- 1998: New directions in printmaking: new ground common ground, First South African Printmaking Conference, Grahamstown.
- 2018: Drawing Conclusions II, Pretoria Art Association
- 2018: Artists book exhibition: Toffee Gallery, Darling
- 2018: Journey: Illustration Exhibition, Stellenbosch
- 2018: The truth about rabbits, Rust-en-Vrede Gallery
- 2018: Endless Horizons printmaking exhibition, Stellenbosch Woordfees and Rust-en-Vrede Gallery
- 2017: Stellenbosch Academy miniature exhibition
- 2017: Stellenbosch Academy Illustration exhibition
- 2016: Imbali Gallery group exhibition
- 2016: Lords of Winter exhibition: Cavalli Gallery
- 2015: Stellenbosch Academy staff exhibition
- 2013: Collateral: two-person exhibition, Aardklop, Potchefstroom
- 2012: Solo exhibition: Hot cross nuns and other visual puns, North-West University gallery
- 2011: ABSA: Artist book exhibition, KK&K art festival
- 2011: Minor matters exhibition, Volksblad Art festival, Bloemfontein
- 2011: Leonard Cohen: Altar piece exhibition, Aardklop, Potchefstroom
- 2010: Transgressions and Boundaries of the Page exhibition, Potchefstroom, Stellenbosch, Johannesburg
- 2012: Group exhibition, Artspace: Johannesburg
- 2009: Solo exhibition, Landscape by design, ABSA Towers, Johannesburg.
- 2007: Creative creatures exhibition, Aardklop, Potchefstroom
- 2007: Draft group drawing exhibition, Johannesburg University
- 2007: Blind spot solo exhibition, Art Space, Johannesburg
- 2004: Brett Kebble exhibition, Johannesburg
- 2004: Group show, NSA Gallery, Durban
- 2004: Group show, Art Space, Johannesburg.
- 2004: Solo exhibition, Gordart Gallery, Johannesburg
- 2003: Group show, Gordart Gallery, Johannesburg
- 2003: Group show, Aardklop, Potchefstroom
- 2003: Sasol Wax Art competition
- 2003: Group Show, Drawing exhibition, Mind’s Eye Gallery, Pretoria
- 2003: Art competition, Kemptonpark, Tembisa
- 2003: Group show, Woordfees, Stellenbosch
- 2002: Group show, Drawing exhibition, Gallery 88, Sasolburg
- 2002: Art Competition, Kemptonpark Tembisa
- 2002: 5th International Ex-Libris exhibition, Rijeka, Croatia
- 2001: Solo exhibition, Millennium Gallery, Pretoria
- 2001: Two-person exhibition with Diane Victor, Oliewenhuis Art Museum, Bloemfontein
- 2001: Group exhibition, ‘Framed’, –Open Window, Pretoria
- 2001: Two-person exhibition with Diane Victor, Jack Heath Art Museum, Pietermaritzburg
- 2001: Solo exhibition, Technorama, Vereeniging.
- 2001: Art competition, Kemptonpark Tembisa
- 2001: 4th International Ex-Libris exhibition, Rijeka, Croatia
- 2000: Address-redress. Print-exchange, Oliewenhuis Art Museum, Bloemfontein
- 1999: South African Art in Belgium
- 1999: 2nd International Ex-Libris exhibition, 50th Anniversary of the Council of Europe, Rijeka, Croatia
- 1997, 1998: Printportfolio: ‘Images of Human Rights, UK and USA, various exhibitions
- 1997: 4e Triennale Mondiale d'estampes petit format, Chamalieres, France
- 1996: Printportfolio, Portsmouth University, UK and Virginia University, USA
- 1998: Playing with the present, Potchefstroom
- 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000: Volkskas Atelier
- 1998: Process exhibition, The process of combining traditional and digital media, Bloemfontein.
- 1998: Human Rights Portfolio: Settlers Monument, Grahamstown
- 1998: Printexchange '98, Rhodes University, Grahamstown
- 1997: A little big thing, Sally Thompson Gallery, Johannesburg
- 1996: Images of Human Rights, Durban National Art Gallery; Cape Town National Art Gallery; Oliewenhuis Art Museum, Bloemfontein
- 1995: Raptor exhibition, Oliewenhuis Art Museum
- 1995: Print Exchange '95, The walls sing, Grahamstown
- 1994: Trees and Angels exhibition, SAAA
- 1993: Momentum Life exhibition
- 1996: Portfolio, Johannes Stegmann Gallery, University of the Free State
- 1993-1995: Lecturer's exhibition, Oliewenhuis Art Museum
- 1994: Three-person exhibition, Gallery 88, Sasolburg
- 1989, 1990,1991: Rolfes Impressions
- 1989, 1990,1991: Sol Plaatjies exhibition
- 1991: Two-man show, Goldfields Gallery, Vaal Triangle Technikon
- 1990, 1991: New Signatures
- 1989: Three-person exhibition, Goldfields Gallery, Vaal Triangle Technikon