About The Artist
Born 1969, Durban, South Africa.
BA in Fine Art (cum laude) from the University of Stellenbosch, 1990.
Awarded Edrich Prize at graduation.
Advanced Diploma in Fine Art (painting) from the Michaelis School of Fine Art (UCT), 1991.
MA in Fine Art from the University of Stellenbosch, 1996.
Lectured in Painting and Drawing at the University of Stellenbosch 1994-6.
Five month study trip to Europe on grant from University of Stellenbosch, including 3 months of postgraduate studies at the Akademie der Bildenden Kuenste, Dresden, Germany, 1997/8.
- "Late summer reprieve" solo exhibtition Trent Gallery, Pretoria, November 2014
- "clare menck: paintings of objects" solo exhibtition i-Art Gallery, Cape Town, November 2008
- "10 DOEN KOPPE" group exhibition Visual Arts KKNK April 2008
- "MUSE '08" Group exhibition of portraiture by i-Art Gallery, KKNK 2008
- "Vinjet/ Vignette" solo exhibition, Stellenbisch University Art Gallery, Nov 2007
- 3-women show, Chelsea Gallery, Darling, Sept 2007
- "BRIEF JOURNEYS" solo exhibition, I ART, Cape Town, Oct 2006
- "Clare Menck: Paintings" solo exhibition, AVA (Association of Visual Arts), Cape Town, Nov 2005
- "5 Women" solo exhibition, Everard Read Gallery, Rosebank, JHB, Jan 2005
- "3 STEMME" 3-women show, art.b Gallery, Bellville, May 2004
- "Johann Louw/ Clare Menck/ Kennett Sinclair" 3-person exhibition curated by Julia Meintjes, Tokara Wine Estate, Stellenbosch, Oct 2002
- Various group exhibitions 1998-2006, @ Everard Read Galleries (CT&JHB), Johans Borman Gallery (CT), Strydom Gallery (George), KKNK (Klein Karoo National Arts Festival, Oudtshoorn), art.b Gallery (Bellville), Rust&Vrede Gallery (Durbanville), Harris Fine Art (CT), Rose Korber (CT), Dawid Ras (JHB), Carol Lee Fine Art (JHB), and I Art (CT)
- MWEB webcam in studio (one of 3 nationally), 2000
- Solo at Grahamstown National Arts Festival, Carinus Art Centre, Grahamstown, July 2000
- "DRESDEN, SUTHERLAND, WOODSTOCK" solo show, AVA, Cape Town, 1998
- "CYST: Works in Paint" travelling group show curated by Johann Louw and Clare Menck, Castle of Good Hope (CT) & Civic Gallery, Sandton (JHB) 1997/8
- 2-person exhibition, Labia Gallery, Cape Town, 1997
- Master's degree solo exhibition, US Gallery, Stellenbosch, 1996
Muratie Wine Estate, Tokara Wine Estate, SPIER Wine Estate, Sanlam, Sasol, Old Mutual Asset Management, University of Stellenbosch, University of the Orange Free State, Nando's UK, Oliewenhuis Museum (Bloemfontein)