Ilandi Barkhuizen Title:
Make the circle bigger v (Zulu)Medium:
Mixed media on canvasSize:
80 x 60cm Price on Request
- Women wear different attire at different stages of their lives.
- Single women have short hair and only wear short grass reed skirts with beads.
- Engaged women will cover their breasts and grow their hair.
- By covering their entire body, married women indicate that they are spoken for. Traditionally, they covered their bosom with cloth but in modern times they wear cotton vests or beaded bras.
- Most iconic part of the attire is the circular-shaped hats called izicolo, worn by married women.
- Izicolo measures as much as a meter across to protect the wearer from the sun and is traditionally made of grass and cotton.
- Men traditionally wear skins and feathers.
- The leopard is revered as the king of predators and is only allowed to be worn by royalty.
- Headbands are worn by married men.
- Tufts of cow's tail called amasova are worn for a bulkier look around the arms and calves.