About The Artist
Born in December 1966 in the Highveld town of Witbank, as it was then known. I attended the local English primary school, Robert Carruthers and later the Pretoria Art, Ballet and Music School from which I matriculated in 1984. Thereafter, I went to Rhodes University to study Fine Art.
After a year I decided that Durban Technikon would suit my temperament and interests better. I completed a Diploma in Fine Art with Drawing and Painting majors in 1988. I went on to study towards a Higher Diploma in Fine Art, which I completed at the end of 1989.
While living in Durban, I worked as a private painting and drawing tutor for adult students, and as an arts and crafts teacher to groups of children until 1997. I then relocated to Pretoria. I have continued with this form of self-employment while based in Pretoria.
In December 2015, I completed my M.Tech Fine Art at Tshwane University of Technology, presenting a dissertation, The Pool Motif in Selected South African Arcadian Paintings and an exhibition of twelve paintings of the suburban swimming pool.
I have participated in various exhibitions and competitions since 1991.
List of exhibitions and commissions
- Sept 1991 - Natal New Signatures Competition Awarded first prize for diptych, Sea Point Waterfront
- Oct 1991 - Private commission A North Coast lagoon
- Apr 1992 - Bearings Exhibition Five Durban artists at the NSA
- Mar 1993 - NSA Chairs Exhibition Exhibited and sold a decorative, non-functional chair
- June 1993 - Volkskas Competition Adoration (a triptych) was selected for the national exhibition
- Dec 1993 - Portrait commission The late Zamazulu Nkosi, founder of the Kwa Mashu Polyclinic
- Dec 1994 - Landscape commission for the Principle of Natal University, Brenda Gourley, a large-scale oil of the view of Durban bay as seen from the University
- Mar 1997 - Labia Gallery, Cape Town, a two-women exhibition with Clare Menck. Exhibited a body of 13 oil paintings, a series of Natal lagoons, tidal pools and beaches
- June 1997 - Volkskas Competition Pure horizon selected and exhibited at the national exhibition in Bloemfontein
- Feb 1998 - Site Specific Exhibition was held at the Open Window Gallery, Pretoria. There were three participants
- Aug 1998 - Sasol New Signatures Competition Western Portal, a tall painting of the sculpture of a Gothic queen in a South coast dune landscape
- June 1999 - Kempton Park/Tembisa Competition Winged Goddess was selected for the exhibition
- July 1999 - Absa Atelier Competition Western Portal was selected for finals at the African Window
- June 2000 - Tembisa Competition The three-paneled painting, Fog garden was selected for exhibition
- July 2000 - Absa Atelier My multi-paneled painting, Vigil was selected for the national exhibition at Absa's Johannesburg gallery
- June 2001 - 3/3 Exhibition was held at the Open Window gallery
- Aug 2001 - Femina 2001 Exhibited a painting at the Pretoria Association of Arts
- March 2002 - Absa Atelier The painting, Origins and archetypes was selected for the national competition
- Dec 2002 - Grillroom, Durban Exhibited a body of 7 paintings of classical statuary in watery landscapes
- Sept 2003 - NSA Park Gallery, Durban An exhibition of 6 paintings, entitled Nymphs and pools
- July 2007 - Durban Art Space I participated in a group show, Malleable
- July 2015 - Sasol New Signatures Competion Elegy, a large-scale painting of the steps leading into the water of a pool, was accepted for the national exhibition in Pretoria
- Oct 2015 - Pretoria Arts Association Paradise lost - small solo show of 6 paintings.
- Dec 2015 - M.Tech Exhibition A body of 12 paintings of water/pools
- Mar 2016 - Art Lover's Gallery (Pretoria) Group show
- July 2016 - Trent Gallery Pop up exhibition of small pool/water paintings
- March 2017 - Upstairs@Bamboo Group exhibition
- April 2017 - Gallery 2 The Pool of Water in Arcadia Solo Exhibition
- Sept 2017 - Surface a group show at Upstairs@bamboo
- April 2018 - An interchange with pools at Art Lovers Gallery